July 10 is Piña Colada Day!
A typical Piña Colada has more than 650 calories, which is more than a Big Mac’s 576.
But if you would really like to spoil yourself to a good glass of Piña Colada, why not aim for a healthier version?
Below are a few tips:
- Make your own coconut milk and avoid bought coconut milk, which is loaded with sugar, starches, and preservatives.
- Swap the rum for coconut water.
- Swap bought pineapple juice for a freshly made frozen pineapple juice. Simply freeze pineapple pieces then throw them in the blender.
- Add 2 frozen bananas to add taste and make the texture creamier.
- Add 1 tsp chia seeds.
- Throw everything in a blender, serve with a fresh slice of pineapple, et Voilà!
Why add Chia Seeds, and what are their benefits?
Chia seeds are a great source of protein, antioxidants, calcium, vitamins, healthy fats, omega-3, and fiber.
These tiny seeds have big health benefits. While slowing down digestion, they help avoid sudden sugar spikes, thus, being very beneficial for people with type 2 diabetes.
In fact, Chia Seeds are known to help regulate appetite, sleep and improve mood.
And finally, not only will you get fuller faster, but by fighting insulin, Chia Seeds can aid in fighting belly fat.
The good thing about Chia Seeds is that they can be sprinkled on top of any dish or salad you’re having, without affecting the taste. It can also be used to make chia pudding for a healthy filling quick breakfast.
Photo credit: A sweet pea chef